Put On Your Body Armor
How to strengthen your Immune System
1. Chiropractic Adjustment — Studies have indicated that the chiropractic adjustment positively influences key factors that help control your immune system. This includes such things as WBC levels, antibody levels, and phagocytic activities. The chiropractic adjustment also plays a vital role in balancing the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system. Having a properly aligned spine keeps us from running in a constant sympathetic dominant (“fight or flight”) state.
2. Food Matters — What you put into your body significantly determines how capable it is to fight disease, bacteria and viruses. Eliminate sugar and processed food from your diet. Eat vegetables and plant-based foods as much as possible. Have a diet rich in clean protein and healthy fats.
3. Vitamin Supplementation — No matter how organic and balanced you try to make your diet, most research indicates that we are still deficient in key nutrients needed to keep our cells healthy.
a. Essential Multivitamin with added Phytonutrients — This multivitamin gives your body the baseline nutrients your cells need. The vitamins and minerals in a quality multivitamin work as co-factors (makes each nutrient stronger and more useable) versus picking and choosing just certain vitamins and taking them separate. Phytonutrients come from plants and help repair the DNA of our cells.
b. Vitamin D — Vitamin D has been shown to help keep your immune system healthy. As you may know, it is key for calcium absorption and helps regulate your mood, but it is also beneficial for your immune function. If you have not had your Vitamin D level tested in the past 6 months, I would recommend doing that. For most adults, taking 5000IU is a great starting point.
c. Antioxidants — In addition to your multivitamin, antioxidant specific supplements will give you extra defense against the toxins called “free radicals” that damage our cells. Two of the key ones I use and recommend are Nutridyn’s Fruits and Greens drink and Proflavanol, a grape seed extract.
d. Omega 3 fish oil — Omega 3 fish oils (EPA and DHA) significantly reduce inflammation in our bodies. Omega 6’s, which are readily available in our diets in the form of corn and soy products, increase inflammation. By supplementing in approximately 3000mg daily of Omega 3’s, we can counteract that and keep our cells healthy. Your omega 3 supplement must be a high grade, pure source due to mercury and other toxins that can be present.
4. Hydration — Staying hydrated helps your body naturally eliminate toxins, bacteria, and viruses that cause illness. If we are dehydrated, our blood and lymphatic system cannot help us eliminate these. At minimum, drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water each day. (Take your body weight in lbs, divide by 2; this equals the amount of ounces of water you need to drink). Also, a quality electrolyte drink that replaces the proper electrolytes into our cells is very effective. It makes water wetter! In other words, it helps your cells hold onto more of that water. Coffee, alcohol, and sugar drinks dehydrate our bodies.
5. Sleep — Proper sleep is vital for good health and certainly healthy immune function. Like most things, the amount needed for individuals may vary. In general, adults need 7-8 hours, teenagers 9-10 hours, and school-aged children 10+ hours of sleep. During sleep, our bodies release proteins called cytokines which are vital in proper immune system function.
6. Exercise — Moderately intense exercise 5-6 days/week has been shown to improve your immune function. If you have not been consistently exercising, start with even mild intensity, for example a brisk walk. If you have been exercising regularly, keep it up.
PS – During this time of economic uncertainty, we completely understand a potential concern with spending extra money. Several of the things above are virtually free, but take the discipline of putting into practice. The other side is that if our health is taken away, every other area of life is affected, so put your money into protecting your health.
PSS – Want to get supplements at a discount to stay healthy? The second Wednesday of every month is our Wellness Wednesday, when all of our Nutridyn supplements are at a 20% discount.
God bless you and your families in the midst of this trial!
Dr. Josh Flohr